Josh Lama Blog for Advent #10

Category: , , , , , , , , , By Josh Lama

Hey Guys,
So Speech Day was on today at our school. Now I go to a pretty good school, that isn't private, but has a lot of traditions that sound private. You could say that the school that I go to is a private wannabe.
I play trumpet. So I was part of the Fanfare (Fanfare for a Dignified Occasion by Sir Arthur Bliss), Concert Band (Abram's Pursuit by David R. Holsinger), and Stage Band (Ease on In by James Morrison Australian Trumpet Player) I also sing. So for our choir piece we usually do a piece that covers the genre of 'New Age', 'Contemporary Art Music', 'World' etc. This time we went for a piece called Bohemian Rhapsody. Now if you have never heard of Bohemian, 1) where have you been for the last 30 years and 2) ... ... ... ... I have no 2. But here it is if you never heard it.
What's odd about this choice is that this is supposed to be a celebration, or a Dignified Occasion,
instead we go for something that has the lyrics of:
"I'm just a poor boy,I need no sympathy...Anyway the wind blows,doesn't really matter to me/To me. ...
...Mama/just killed a man
Put a gun against his head/Pulled my trigger/now he's dead
Mama/life had just begun/But now Ive gone and thrown it all away
Mama ooo/Didn't mean to make you cry
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on,carry on,as if nothing really matters...
...Nothing really matters-,nothing really matters to me"
Anyway, we got approval from the Principal a long time ago, and I think we match the original fairly well. right from the first notes, to the opera section, to the end with the gong/tam-tam.
Well, I'll post it as soon as I get the video.
See ya.

P.S. Yes I know Freddy Mercury was gay and I know the biblical standpoint, but should I criticize his music because of his private life?
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?